Newsletter & Bonus eCourse

Sign Up Now For Your Monthly Newsletter!

Receive As A Bonus: "The 7 Dirty Little Secrets" Mini-Course.
Find Out What No One Has Been Telling You! Privacy Policy

**We respect your privacy, and will NEVER rent, sell, or trade your personal information.**

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Book Review - Parenting Children With ADHD

New Feature:

One of my goals this year is to learn even more about ADHD - and to do so means that I need to read what other people are writing about. I need to know what other information you are hearing from different sources, beyond that of what I think.

So, that said, I am going to read up on any book that I think might be relevant to ADHD and children. No topic is off limits. Given the controversial and varying perspectives on ADHD, I am NOT going to limit myself to just medical themed books on ADHD. I am going to try and cover the whole range.

Book #1

Parenting Children With ADHD:
10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach

By, Vincent J. Monastra, PhD

This is a fairly recent publication from the American Psychological Association. It's a fairly compact softcover book that looks to be an easy read.

It has excellent reviews both online and of course on the cover.

Review So Far...

This format might change as I go on, but for the time being, I will review the book as I read it and update once a week. I will then close out the review with a overall reflection on the book, the material, and it's relevance.

As of this morning, I have read the 'Introduction' and 'Chapter 1.' Without getting into too much detail, I like the tone that is set from the very beginning. The author / psychologist sets the stage for his expertise and why you should listen to him. What I really like the most, so far, is that author acknowledges the multitude of theories and messages that parents are bombarded with everyday.

I also like the fact that Dr. Monastra talks about the importance of a comprehensive medical exam and diagnostic evaluation. Because the symptoms of ADHD are not unique to this disorder alone, a thorough medical exam can reveal or rule out any additional medical causes contributing to your child's behavior.

No comments: