Newsletter & Bonus eCourse

Sign Up Now For Your Monthly Newsletter!

Receive As A Bonus: "The 7 Dirty Little Secrets" Mini-Course.
Find Out What No One Has Been Telling You! Privacy Policy

**We respect your privacy, and will NEVER rent, sell, or trade your personal information.**

Friday, January 18, 2008

Oops - I Skipped Over Chapter 2

I don't know how I did it - but it looks like I skipped right over reviewing Chapter 2 for you all. Oops!

I am so glad I caught this, because Chapter 2 has some great content.

Chapter 2:

"Parenting Doesn't Cause ADHD - Genes Do."

Dr. Monastra reviews and dispels some of the major myths around parenting as a cause of ADHD. Well, as you might be wondering - parenting or parenting style does NOT cause ADHD.
Instead, it is our genetics that we pass down which is said to be responsible for ADHD.

Much of the remainder of Chapter 2 is spent talking about the very scientific, technical aspects of what is believed to cause ADHD. There are some interesting points in there - but when you are looking to help your child, this is NOT the part of the chapter that does it. However, I cannot stress enough the importance of digesting this information so you can understand what we believe causes ADHD.

Perhaps the most useful part of Chapter is towards the end, where Dr. Monastra discusses effective treatment. In his opinion (and I agree), effective treatment includes a combination of techniques.

This can include medication (but NOT always), along with therapy, education, social skills classes, parenting classes (to learn strategies to help your child), and the development of a communication channel with school professionals to better assist your child with his or her learning habits or struggles.

Well - that's it. I must say there were some really GREAT strategies mixed with some very powerful content. Just watch out for the technical part, and focus on getting a general idea of how our bodies work and this relationship with ADHD.

In closing, I want to add that this content is reviewed from Dr. Monastra's book, "Parenting Children With ADHD." Like in previous posts, I have pulled out what I have found to be useful and important. However, there could be incredible information that I overlooked which might pertain to your individual situation.

Disclaimer:

That said, I always want to share that I added the part about medication not always being necessary. Remember folks, medication can and does make a difference with many children struggling with ADHD. And - as always, please do not make any changes without first speaking with your treating physician, psychiatrist, therapist, or other direct care professional.

No comments: